Throw me a lunchtime bone: The Bedford Highway abyss

One morning, in a whirring haze of lateness, I grabbed two pieces of bread, slapped on some butter and threw the lump of carbs in a container. By 11:30 a.m., my stomach was churning and I couldn't wait to flee my desk and eat—until I remembered the lunch menu. A butter sandwich. Can you even call that a sandwich?

According to Merriam-Webster, a sandwich is, " two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between." I guess that just brings about another question: Is butter considered a filling? Anyway, I digress.

I begrudgingly ate the "sandwich" while trying to shrug off the feelings of self-loathing and disappointment. How could I not have made my lunch the night before and avoided this catastrophe? Perhaps one might think this isn't a big deal. One might be thinking, "Suck it up and go buy a real sandwich, moron!" And I would, except for the fact that I work in a section of Halifax I like to call....

The Bedford Highway Abyss.

It's a culinary wasteland. Since I lack a personal mode of transportation that doesn't run on a systematic schedule, my choices for lunch purchases consist of Tim Hortons, Jim's Seafood Restaurant and the Mount Saint Vincent University cafeteria. No, no and no. I don't want a muffin with half the recommended daily intake of sodium, a greasy order of fish and chips or chicken macaroni casserole.

One time I even walked all the way to the Lacewood Sobeys for a mediocre salad, walked all the way back and then had 4.5 minutes to scarf it down. That was less than pleasureable.

What I wouldn't give for a lovely little sushi place, a decent coffee shop or even an elderly woman selling cream cheese and cherry sandwiches from a cart on the side of the road.

The view is nice on the Bedford Highway though.

Nothing says lunch hour like admiring the A. Murray MacKay Bridge and enjoying a lovely piece of bread and butter.


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That IS a nice view!

And I love panini. Perhaps in a year I can come fulfill your dream of a cream cheese and cherry sandwich stand.

perhaps.

depends on the factors.