Small but mighty: Gracious Indian

I've been to Gracious Indian four times. I keep going back for two reasons—because it's damn tasty, but also to see if the portions of butter chicken get any larger.

The first time I arrived home, opened the brown bag and took out the tiny styrofoam container I thought I was on Candid Camera. Where was the rest of my chicken? It was only their second day of operation, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they're still figuring out portions....perhaps they didn't cook enough that day.

Same tiny dish the next time. And the next. But I came to realize that maybe I needed to be more of a gracious receiver. So what if it couldn't feed a family of four? The chicken couldn't have been any more tender, the sauce was loaded with flavour and the fresh cilantro helped put out the sadistically enjoyable spice fire in my mouth. And it was only nine bucks. AND it came with a samosa and two pieces of naan.

I was being a Greedy Bastard while eating my Gracious Indian. Good things come in small packages and such is the case with the butter chicken at 2156 Windsor St.

(The chickpeas are equally delicious, but mysteriously come in a larger portion.)

Welcome to the neighbourhood, Gracious Indian. Look for me often.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahah!! This is the post I wated 2 months for!! Amazing stuff! You SHOULD be gracious! Then again, Indians are known for amazing portion sizes with their food... soooo...

xoxo

Equisilus said...

Do you think the small portion size may be because it's takeout? Compared to the menu picture (they link their menu on their site) which depicts an example of the eat-in experience, your pic seems...less than that. Marketing is marketing and all but hmmmmmm.

And Mango Lassi's are amazing! I've not had Indian for a while but I recall having five with one meal once. Looove 'em.

amateur_foodie said...

I don't think so...it's pretty much just a take out spot. They have one seat, but people only sit and read the Metro while they wait for their order.

Mango lassi...yes, delicious. And like a meal on their own.